THE WORD - LESSON ONE
The Integrity of Gods Word
You will need your Bible and a pen & notebook to complete these lessons. You should be able to copy and paste these outlines to your word processor and print them without difficulty if you so desire. We recommend you record in your note book deep thoughts or questions that may arise as you study, and certainly record all things God reveals to your heart. Look over these notes frequently and use them even as you pray. God will cause you to grow in wisdom and understanding. Keep your note book with you throughout the day as much
as possible to record all God reveals to you and to review the things you have learned.
We also recommend you make a habit of memorizing a scripture each week. This not only helps get the Word deep in your heart, but is also an excellent mental exercise.
Spotlight scripture: Genesis 1
~ Notice in Genesis chapter 1 how God's actions during the creation process are recorded repeatedly as "God said". This is significant. God uses His words to bring about change. He doesn't just think it, desire it or expect it. He builds it by speaking.
1. God releases his faith through His Word.
A) Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.
B) The Bible is a recording of that process which God has already used to to release faith.
In Ephesians 5:24-27 an interesting statement is made regarding the Word washing the church. In this part of his letter Paul is writing to help married couples understand how to treat one another and compares how "Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the Word, that He might present her to himself a glorious church...". This passage is paramount in our understanding how serious God is regarding His Word.
I have always said it is not a hard thing at all for the God who created all that exist's to get the Word He wants us to have into our hands. I laugh at the thought of the bible not being accurate. It has been proven time and again to be the most accurate of ancient writings through archeology. Even more compeling is it's scientific accuarcy, for example, for centuries men were sure the earth was flat even as recent as the days of Christopher Columbus, and yet the bible recorded the earth as circular thousands of years before (Isaiah 40:22). You can trust God's Word more than that of any man.
2. God's Word is settled in heaven forever.
Psalm 119:89-91 It is settled means it will not change!
Don't talk yourself out of believing Gods promise. If you found His will in His word, it is still His will today.
3. Our faith is joined together with God's faith through His Word.
A) Even now God's faith is still carrying out His Words!
B) Romans 10:17 - Putting the Word of God in our hearts is our responsibility.
C) John 3:21 - But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what
he has done has been done through God. (NIV)
4. The Word, when placed in our heart, prevails when we speak it.
A) 1John 5:14 & 15 - Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to
His will, He hears us. And if we know He hears us, whatever we ask, we know we have the petitions that
we have asked of Him.
This confidence in the Word of God is the catalyst to answered prayer. God's Word is His will and when you
believe it, then what you believe becomes possible.
B) The Word prevails in the believers life.
John 8:31 & 32 - Abiding in the Word, as apposed to only hearing it, is the depth one needs to succeed
beyond the ordinary. This is what helps bring about a renewed mind. (Ephesians 5:26 & Romans 12:2)
Abiding means to live in. This is a way of saying to keep the Word on your mind (Joshua 1:8), live according to it's teaching, and study & pray the Word regularly. We are to be doers of the Word, not hearers only! (James 1:22)
C) In prayer the Word prevails. (John 15:7)
5. The Word is paramount in forming us into the glorious church Jesus will return for.
A) Ephesians 5:26 & 27 - the church is sanctified and cleansed "by the washing of the water of the Word.."
This is no small thing stated here. Notice these three things:
1. We are sanctified by the Word. Sanctified means set apart or seperated. In other words, God's Word seperates the believer apart from the rest of the World for God. (see also John 17:17)
2. We are cleansed by the Word. Even the church as a "set apart" group for God needs the Word for it's cleansing. The Word is how we learn how to live according to Gods will.
3. Because of the work the Word does in the believers life Jesus is able to present a glorious church to God the Father.
QUESTIONS TO PONDER AND UNDERSTAND BEFORE MOVING ON TO THE NEXT LESSON
1. How did God release His faith?
2. Are God's promises in the Word still valid today?
3. Which is the greater destination of Gods Word, our mind or our heart?
4. Are we to speak the Word with our mouth or is simply believing the Word sufficient in order to change circumstances in our life?
5. What is one of the ways the Word helps the church become glorious?
School Of Faith with Dan & Suzann The Word 1