Making Yourself Usable For God's Work
You will need your Bible and a pen & notebook to complete these lessons. You should be able to copy and paste these outlines to your word processor and print them without difficulty if you so desire. We recommend you record in your note book deep thoughts or questions that may arise as you study, and certainly record all things God reveals to your heart. Look over these notes frequently and use them even as you pray. God will cause you to grow in wisdom and understanding. Keep your note book with you throughout the day as much as possible to record all God reveals to you and to review the things you have learned.
We also recommend you make a habit of memorizing a scripture each week. This not only helps get the Word deep in your heart, but is also an excellent mental exercise.
Spotlight scripture: Galatians 2:8
(amplified) For He Who motivated and fitted Peter and worked effectively through him for the mission to the circumcised, motivated and fitted me and worked through me also for the mission to the Gentiles.
Six Secrets of A Fruitful Disciple
Peter & Paul allowed the work of Holy Spirit to change them, to grow them and to teach them, to the place where they could accomplish the work God had destined for them.
* The work of Holy Spirit had worked on them enough to cause them to be effective.
What had Holy Spirit shaped these two men into? History reveals the answer to us.
Don’t we all want to fulfill our destiny?
Let us look at what it takes to allow this same “effective working” take place in our lives.
1. They know they are needed.
John 10:12 He that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, sees the wolf coming, and leaves the sheep, and flees: and the wolf catches them, and scatters the sheep.
- satan always attempts to scatter or isolate the sheep
* we all have important function (gift) in the body of Christ.
* when any one of us are absent, the body suffers
* we are stronger together than when we are separated
2. They are usable
* a humble and usable disciple is a bright light in this world.
* we are a much more convincing witness by our lifestyle than by our words.
* Taking our place in the body and doing our part “without complaining or disputing” is what allows God to continue to work through us individually (see vs. 13&14) - bad attitude may halt the process.
* 5 Signs of unusable People
1. They are impatient
2. They are short sighted (don’t catch the vision)
3. They are prone to negativity (a faith inhibiter)
4. They are too critical (lack grace toward others)
5. They are excessively perfectionist’s (won’t do much of anything because
of fear it wont be perfect)
3. They are givers
Matthew 5:41 …whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two.
* be mercy motivated
* compassion for the needs of others comes from Holy Spirit indwelling; yield to Holy Spirit.
* lay up treasures in heaven, for where your treasure is (your time, your thoughts, your money) there your heart will be also.
Proverbs 3:9-10 Honor the Lord with thy substance, and with the first fruits of all thine increase: So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine.
4. They are team players
* team players are; caring, sharing, encouraging, committed, working, forgiving, trusting, supportive & protective (defend the team - speak up in their defence)
Ephesians 5:18b - 21 …be filled with the Spirit…submitting to one another in the fear of God.
5. They are people of faith
* Keep our eyes focused on Jesus.
* He began the work in you and He shall finish what He has started!
6. They are goal setters
* not intimidated by setting a goal
* willing to put forth the effort to accomplish God’s will
* they are determined people
THESE ARE THE HALLMARKS OF A FRUITFUL DISCIPLE - THE VERY THINGS THAT CAN HELP US BE EFFECTIVELY USED BY GOD’S OWN HAND.
School Of Faith with Dan & Suzann Lesson 4